Monday, June 7, 2010

Eating or Education?

Met one of my students for the first time today...(it's almost my FOURTH week at school) His mom brought him in and said his father disappeared and so she's been struggling to feed him and pay his school fees, hence his absence... Remember to appreciate everything you have today and ALWAYS...because some people have to choose between eating, and going to school...

Today one of my little girls in class, Nicole, pointed to a mosquito bite on my arm and with the sweetest softest voice, said, "But don't get sick, because I love you..." I had to go outside and "blow my nose" so nobody would see my tears welling up in my eyes. Things hit you harder in Africa- they do me, anyway. 

The world I live in and the world I'm interning in are complete opposites. I wash my hands at school in the dirty water of the 58 little hands before me and they never stay clean for long before I'm back to giving every child I pass a high five or a handshake, I hug little babies infected with ring worm and catching it is the LAST of my worries and I save the juice or water that my host mom buys me to make sure every one of my students has something to drink at school each day.

My host sister, Paula, asked me at lunch on Sunday if I'm close with my parents, before giving me time to answer she said, I know you are- you always smile when you talk about them. I looked at her and couldn't help but smile, and told her that, Yes- my parents are probbaly my two best friends, as if I was waiting to be punnished for my answer I looked up at her and asked, "Why?" and she said, because children arn't close to their parents, like you are, where I'm from, parents don't know how to love their kids and give affection... Well i'll be darned if I don't love all my kids TWICE as much now. It is my wish that every child I'm around KNOWNS how special they are. If not to their parents, to ME.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post honey. I can tell that your tender heart and caring nature is having an impact. I can also see that the children you have encountered and the circumstances they bring to the classroom has had a profound effect on you. Both good things. You are there for a reason. It is evident in everything you write and do. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz for these great postings. Good to read that your children can speak some English and can offer some health advice!

    Your reflection sheds light on the educational policy of "Fee-Free" schooling in Rwanda and many parts of the world. One would assume that this does not apply to ESCAF because it is a private school. What you just shared is a story of a parent in poverty wanting a good education her child, even though it looks like it is out of her reach. Education is certainly seen as a key out of most family’s current situation, and as you have mentioned in your previous postings, is not taken for granted! We appreciate these reminders.

    So does your class have more surprises? Perhaps a few more innocent faces will show up! That would be over 59 little kids in one class. How often is attendance and follow up done? (that makes it easy for you to explain your major!); how do families who cannot afford to provide that very “basic right of every child” get help? i.e who do they go to? Do kids who fail to meet their financial obligation at ESCAF transfer to public schools? Would it have been a good idea for this mother to do that instead of keeping the child out of school for 4 weeks? Who helps parents sift through these complex issues? Too many questions…

    Thank you for posting, no matter how brief, its always a pleasure to read.

    Here is a useful reference from the Ministry of Ed- http://www.mineduc.gov.rw/spip.php?article21

    ReplyDelete